Khamid Mahkamov has MEng and PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Bauman Moscow Technical University in the field of Thermal Power Engineering. Prior to joining Northumbria University in 2011 he worked in the Academy of Sciences (USSR, 13 years), at Leeds University (Research Fellow, 2 years) and in the Energy Group of the School of Engineering of Durham University (9 years) where he was Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Thermofluids and Director of MSc in Renewable Energy.
Professor Mahkamov served as a member of Editorial Board of the Journals of Renewable Energy (Elsevier) and is now with Energetika - Proceedings of CIS Higher Education Institutions (Minsk, Belarus). He is also a member of International Council for Stirling Cycle Machines and a part of Membership Committee of Energy Institute (UK). In 2010 he won IMECHE Harold Disney Prize for the best 2009 paper in the power industry.
He teaches modules related to Thermo-Fluids and Renewable and Sustainable Energy Technologies.
Since joining Northumbria in 2011 Prof Mahkamov has won, as Principle Investigator, the following externally funded grants for the University:
Research & Enterprise Projects
- 2020: £21,400 - UK/Brazil Workshop on Renewable Energy Technologies, British Council
- 2019: £225,000 - LA- SOLAR ENHANCE, The Royal Society, 36 months
- 2018: £150,000 - GREEN REFUGE, British Council, 24 months
- 2017: £149, 789 - ReFreshTEC, British Council, 24 months
- 2016: €4,000,000 – INNOVA MICROSOLAR, EU (Horizon 2020), 48 months (Project Coordinator)
- 2016: €195,235 - THERMOSTALL, EU, 24 months
- 2014: €309,235 - ENTAS, EU, 24 months
- 2013: €299,558 - BIO-GREEN IC ENGINE, EU, 24 months
- 2012: £128,104 – KTP: Air fan and water pump improvements for automotive applications, TSB & AVID , 24 months
Learning & Teaching Projects
- 2019: €121,083 - ERASMUS PLUS/610258, EU, 36 months
- 2017: €1,000,000 - ERASMUS PLUS/585849, EU, 36 months (won as a Project Coordinator)
- 2015: €1,000,000 - ERASMUS PLUS/561807, EU, 36 months (Project Coordinator)
- 2013: €107,000 - TEMPUS/544339, EU, 36 months
- 2011: €172,000 - TEMPUS/511069, EU, 36 month
Completed PhD supervision (at Northumbria as Principal Supervisor)
- Mohammed Ismail, Intensification of Heat Transfer in Thermal Storage Systems with Phase Change Materials, (RDF of Northumbria University).
- Atainu Ernest Mbikan, Development of a Small Biomass Gasifier for Production of Synthesis Gas with Enhanced Calorific Value, 2019 (Self-funded, Nigeria).
- Nabil Abd A Elsharif, Solar Water Desalination using Multistage Water Stills with Reduced Pressure, 2018 (Libyan Government Scholarship).
- Khaled M A Hossin, Dynamic Modelling and Experiments of a Small-Scale Solar Organic Rankine Cycle for Power Generation, 2017 (Libyan Government Scholarship).
- Gamal G S Hashem, Development of Solar Cooling Systems Based on a Fluid Piston Converter 2016, (Libyan Government Scholarship).
- Ayodeji Olubayo Sowale, Modelling and Optimization of Free Piston Stirling Engine for Micro-CHP Application, 2016 (Self-funded Nigerian student).
- Georgios Gkounis, Experimental and Theoretical Evaluation of mCHP Systems Based on Various Technologies, 2015 (Self-funded EU student).
- Maher Al-Maglhalseh. Compact Solar Thermal Energy Storage Systems using Phase Change Materials, 2014 (Funded by Northumbria).
- Athanasious Alexakis. CFD Modelling of Stirling Engines with Complex Design Topologies, 2013 (Self-funded EU student).
- Basim Belgasim. Theoretical and Experimental Investigation of the Dynamic Solar Water Desalination Unit, 2013 (Libyan Government Scholarship).
- Kwanchai Kraitong. Solar-Powered Low Temperature Difference Stirling Engine with Optimal Design for Energy Production in Climatic Conditions of Thailand, 2012 (Thailand Government Scholarship).
Current PhD supervision at Northumbria as Principal Supervisor
- Mr Hassan Mahmood, Enchaining performance of a small solar thermal Combined Heat and Power plant (Self-Funded, Pakistan)
- John Nkor. Mathematical modelling and optimisation of the design of a solar thermal plant with Fresnel mirror concentrating field(Self-funded, Nigeria).
- Abba Mustafa. Improvement of the design of solar field of a small thermal power plant with linear Fresnel mirrors (Funded by Ministry of Energy, Nigeria).