Richard (YongQing) Fu is a professor in the Faculty of Engineering and Environment, University of Northumbria at Newcastle, UK. He obtained his PhD degree from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, and then worked as a Research Fellow in Singapore-Massachusetts Institute of Technology Alliance, and a Research Associate in University of Cambridge. He was a lecturer in Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK, and then a Reader in Thin Film Centre in University of West of Scotland, Glasgow, UK until 2015, before moving to Northumbria University in Newcastle, UK.
He has extensive experience in smart thin films/materials, biomedical microdevices, energy materials, lab-on-chip, micromechanics, MEMS, nanotechnology, sensors and microfluidics. He has established a worldwide reputation from his pioneer research work on shape memory films, piezoelectric thin films, nanostructured composite/films for MEMS, sensors/ actuators, and renewable energy applications.
His research has been funded by Engineering and Physics Science Research Council (EPSRC), Royal Society, Royal Academy of Engineering, Carnegie Trust, Horizon 2020, UK Fluidic Network, Royal Society of Edinburgh, Scottish Government, Scottish Union Physics Alliance (SUPA), Innovate UK/Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP), AWE-UK, Scottish Sensor System Centre/CENSIS, Scottish Funding Council, and National Science Foundation of China. One of his KTP projects was awarded outstanding.
He published over 450 science citation index (SCI) journal papers (including Progress in Materials Science, Nature Comm., Advanced Science, Materials Horizons, ACS Nano, Nano Energy, Nano Letters, Advanced Materials, Advanced Functional Materials, Small, Chemistry of Materials, J Mater Chem A, Advanced Drug Delivery Review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews), two books, 20 book chapters, and over 120 conference papers. His current SCI H-index is 60 with over 16 K citations, and his Google scholar H-index is 70 with over 21K citations (up to July 2022).
Being the principle supervisors, he has ten PhD students successfully graduated in UK universities. He is associate editors/editorial board members for seven international journals including Scientific Report. He is regular journal paper reviewers for more than 50 journals, has co-organized 15 international conferences worldwide, and co-edited six special issues for different journals. He is is the leader of the Special Interest Group (SIG) on “Acoustofluidics” within the EPSRC-funded UK Fluids Network (UKFN).
Selected top 20 Publications
- Kai Tao, Zhensheng Chen, Jiahao Yu, Haozhe Zeng, Jin Wu, Zixuan Wu, Qingyan Jia, Peng Li, Yongqing Fu, Honglong Chang, Weizheng Yuan, Ultra-Sensitive, Deformable and Transparent Triboelectric Tactile Sensor based on Micro-Pyramid Patterned Ionic Hydrogel for Interactive Human-Machine Interfaces. Advanced Science, 15, 2022, 2104168. Doi: 10.1002/advs.202104168.
- Yunxia Hu, Mingjin Dai, Wei Feng, Xin Zhang, Feng Gao, Shichao Zhang, Biying Tan, Jia Zhang, Yong Shuai, YongQing Fu, PingAn Hu, Ultra-low power optical synapses based on MoS2 layers with indium-induced surface charge doping for biomimetic eyes, AdvancedMaterials, 33 (2021) 2104960. Doi: 10.1002/adma.202104960.
- Kai Tao, Zhe Zhao, Yang Yang, Jin Wu, Li Yunjia, Fan Kangqi, Yongqing Fu, Honglong Chang, Weizheng Yuan, Development of Bipolar-charged Electret Rotatory Power Generator and Application in Self-powered Intelligent Thrust Bearing, Nano Energy, 90 (2021) 106491. Doi: 10.1016/j.nanoen.2021.106491
- Kai Tao, Zhensheng Chen, Haiping Yi, Ruirong Zhang, Qiang Shen, Jin Wu, Lihua Tang, Kangqi Fan, Yongqing Fu, Jianmin Miao, Weizheng Yuan, Hierarchical Honeycomb-structured Electret/Triboelectric Nanogenerator for Biomechanical and Morphing Wing Energy Harvesting, Nano-Micro Letters, 13 (2021) 123. Doi: 10.1007/s40820-021-00644-0.
- Liangquan Xu, Weipeng Xuan, Jinkai Chen,Chi Zhang, Yuzhi Tang, Xiwei Huang, Wenjun Li, Hao Jin, Shurong Dong, Wuliang Yin, Yongqing Fu, Jikui Luo, Fully self-powered instantaneous wireless humidity sensing system based on triboelectric nanogenerator, Nano Energy, 83 (2021) 105814. doi:10.1016/j.nanoen.2021.105814.
- Yong-Qing Fu, Hua-Feng Pang,Hamdi Torun, Ran Tao, Glen McHale, Julien Reboud, Kai Tao, Jian Zhou,Jingting Luo, D. Gibson, Jikui Luo, and PingAn Hu, Engineering Inclined Orientations of Piezoelectric Films for Integrated Acoustofluidics and Lab-on-a-Chip, Lab-on-a-chip, 21 (2021) 254-271, DOI: 10.1039/D0LC00887G.
- Yunxia Hu,Mingjin Dai, Wei Feng, Xin Zhang,Shichao Zhang,Biying Tan, Huiming Shang, YongQing Fu, PingAn Hu, Monolayer hydrophilic MoS2 with strong charge trapping for atomically thin neuromorphic vision systems, Materials Horizon, 7 (2020) 3316-3324, DOIs: 10.1039/d0mh01472a.
- Mingjin Dai, Hongyu Chen, Fakun Wang, Mingsheng Long, Huiming Shang, Yunxia Hu, Wen Li, Chuanyang Ge, Jia Zhang, Tianyou Zhai, Yongqing Fu and PingAn Hu, Ultrafast and Sensitive Self-Powered Photodetector Featuring Self-Limited Depletion Region and Fully-Depleted Channel with van der Waals Contacts, ACS Nano, 14 (2020) 9098–9106, DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.0c04329.
- H. Pan, X. Zhao, G. Xiu, H. Li, N. Ladi, X. Zhang, W. Huang, S. Ahmad, L. Ding, Y. Shen, M. Wang and Y. Q. Fu, Advances in design engineering and merits of electron transporting layers in perovskite solar cells, Mater. Horiz., 7 (2020) 2276-2291. DOI: 10.1039/D0MH00586J.
- Ran Tao, Glen McHale, Julien Reboud, Jonathan M. Cooper, Hamdi Torun, JingTing Luo, Jikui Luo, Xin Yang, Jian Zhou, Pep Canyelles-Pericas, Qiang Wu, Yongqing Fu, Hierarchical nanotexturing enables acoustofluidics on slippery yet sticky, flexible surfaces, Nano Lett., 20 (2020) 3263-3270, doi: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.0c00005.
- 10. Mingjin Dai, Wei Zheng, Xi Zhang, Sanmei Wang, Junhao Lin,| Kai Li, Yunxia Hu, Enwei Sun, Jia Zhang, Yunfeng Qiu, Yongqing Fu,Wenwu Cao, and PingAn Hu, Enhanced Piezoelectric Effect Derived from Grain Boundary in MoS2 Monolayers, Nano Lett, 20 (2020) 201-207. DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.9b03642.
- 11.Mengxuan Sun, Zhijie Li, Qisheng Fang, Shaobo Han, Chao Cai, Hao Li, Wenzhong Shen, Xiaoteng Liu, YongQing Fu, Room-temperature synthesized porous Cu(OH)2/Cu7S4 hybrid nanowires as high-performance electrode material for asymmetric supercapacitor, J. Mater Chem. A, 8 (2020) 724-734. DOI: 10.1039/C9TA11515C.
- 12. Kai Tao, Haiping Yi, Yang Yang, Honglong Chang, Jin Wu, Lihua Tang, Zhaoshu Yang, Nan Wang, Liangxing Hu, Yongqing Fu, Jianmin Miao and Weizheng Yuan, Origami-Inspired Electret-Based Triboelectric Generator for Biomechanical and Ocean Wave Energy Harvesting, Nano Energy, 67 (2020) 104197, DOI: 10.1016/j.nanoen.2019.104197.
- 13. Mingjin Dai, Zhiguo Wang, Fakun Wang, Yunfeng Qiu, Jia Zhang, Cheng-Yan Xu, Tianyou Zhai, Wenwu Cao, Yongqing Fu, Dechang Jia, Yu Zhou, Ping-An Hu, Two-Dimensional van der Waals Materials with Aligned In-Plane Polarization and Large Piezoelectric Effect for Self-Powered Piezoelectric Sensors, Nano Letter, 19, 8, 5410-5416. DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.9b01907
- 14. Tang, R., Zheng, Z-H., Su, Z-H., Li, X-J., Wei, Y-D., Zhang, X-H., Fu, Y-Q., Luo, J. T., Fan, P. & Liang, G-X., 23 Highly efficient and stable planar heterojunction solar cell based on sputtered and post-selenized Sb2Se3 thin film, Nano Energy. 64 (2019) 103929. DOI: 10.1016/j.nanoen.2019.103929
- Zhijie Li, Hao Li, Zhonglin Wu, Mingkui Wang, Jingting Luo, Hamdi Torun, Pingan Hu, Chang Yang, Marius Grundmann, Xiaoteng Liu, YongQing Fu, Advances in designs and mechanisms of semiconducting metal oxide nanostructures for high-precision gas sensors operated at room-temperature, Materials Horizon, 6 (2019) 470-506. Doi: 10.1039/CBMH01365A.
- Zheng, Wei; Huang, Weicheng; Yang, Huihui; Gao, Feng; Dai, Mingjin; Liu, Guangbo; Yang, Bin; Zhang, Jia; Yong Qing Fu; Chen, Xiaoshuang; Qiu, Yunfeng; Jia, Dechang; Zhou, Yu; Hu, PingAn, Kirigami-inspired highly stretchable nanoscale devices using multi-dimensional deformation of monolayer MoS2, Chemistry of Materials, 2018, 30 (17), pp 6063–6070. DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemmater.8b02464.
- Qingnan Wu, Jiahao Wen, Ming Wen, Qingsheng Wu, and Yong Qing Fu, Bioinspired Sea-sponge Nanostructure Design of Ni/Ni(HCO3)2-on-C for Supercapacitor with Superior Anti-fading Capacity, J. Mater Chem. A, 6 (2018) 15781-15788, DOI: 10.1039/c8ta05303k.
- Jinkai Chen, Weipeng Xuan, Pengfei Zhao, Umar Farooq, Peng Ding, Wuliang Yin, Hao Jin, Xiaozhi Wang, Yongqing Fu, Shurong Dong and Jikui Luo, Triboelectric effect based instantaneous self-powered wireless sensing with self-determined identity, Nano Energy, 51 (2018) 1-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.nanoen.2018.06.029.
- Y.Q. Fu, J.K. Luo, N.T. Nguyen, A.J. Walton, A.J. Flewitt, X.T Zu, Y. Li, G. McHale, A. Matthews. E. Iborra H. Du,W.I. Milne, Advances in piezoelectric thin films for acoustic biosensors, acoustofluidics and lab-on-chip applications, Progress in Mater Sci. 89 (2017) 31-91. Article reference: JPMS447, DOI: 10.1016/j.pmatsci.2017.04.006.
- C. Yang, D. Souchay, M. Kneiß, M. Bogner, H. M. Wei, M. Lorenz, O. Oeckler, G. Benstetter, Y. Q. Fu, and M Grundmann, Transparent Flexible Thermoelectric Material Based on Non-toxic Earth-Abundant p-Type Copper Iodide Thin Film, Nature Communications, 8 (2017)16076, DOI: 10.1038/ncomms16076.
* S. Miyzaki, Y. Q. Fu, W. M. Huang, Book of “Thin Film Shape Memory Alloys: Fundamentals and biomedical Device Applications”, Cambridge University Press, 2009, ISBN 9780521, 885768, Page 459 in total.
* WM Huang, B. Yang, and Y. Q. Fu, Book of “Polyurethane Shape Memory Polymers”, Tayler and Frances, page 296 in total, 9781439838006, 1439838003, May 25th, 2011.