- Competing discourses of community development and international development in practice, past and present.
- Competing discourses of childhood and youth in the Global North and the Global South.
- The relationships formed between professionals, volunteers and service users / local people in community projects, which include analyses of power.
- Critically evaluating the dynamic nature of volunteering in the Global North and Global South.
- Using experimental methodologies to critically engage with contemporary practice in international community development
- The sociology and anthroplogy of non-human animal and human-animal relationships
PhD, Social Policy and Administration, Northumbria University
Community Development and the Coalition Government (2010-2015): discourse, hegemony and 'othering'.12 Jan 2012 - 30 Aug 2017
PGCE, Education1 Sep 2006 - 1 Jul 2007
MSc, Social Research, University of Strathclyde1 Oct 2004 - 30 Sep 2005
MA, Sociology, University of Glasgow
BA, Applied Social Science, University of Glasgow
Fellow (FHEA), Higher Education Academy (HEA)24 Jul 2017 -